Thursday, August 14, 2008

Running for a Reason

Last Wednesday, I took the plunge and signed up to run the Rock N' Roll Half Marathon in San Antonio this November through Team In Training, committing to raise $2,900 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I'm feeling a bit crazy right now, but I am extremely excited about the challenge. Running that far and fundraising are both very scary things for me. I mean... thirteen point one miles! THIRTEEN POINT ONE MILES! This might not seem like much to you, but this girl hasn't run more than 4 miles in the past 7 years. Every Saturday run from here on out will be a personal farthest for me, starting with 6 miles this weekend! (Pray that I don't pass out in this Texas heat.)

For those of you who don't know much about Team In Training, it has been around for 20 years now and has raised over 850 million dollars. It's incredible how far modern medicine has come with the help of fundraising partners such as Team In Training (see below), but there is still lots of ground to be taken.

· The five year survival rate for Leukemia has gone from 14% in 1960 to 51% in 2004.
· Hodgkin Lymphoma has gone from 74% in 1975 to 86% in 2004.
· Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma has gone from 48% in 1975 to 65% in 2004.
· Myeloma has gone from 12% in 1960's to 35% in 2004.

If you'd like to contribute, you can use the link in this email to donate online with ease and securely plus learn more about my progress. You will receive a confirmation of your donation by email and I will be notified as soon as you make your donation. Please know that your donation, no matter how large or small helps. And if you are unable to give monetarily (which I completely understand), I'd love your support through prayer and encouragement!

http://pages.teamintraining.org/ntx/rnrsa08/jpenuel

I'll be running in memory of a dear friend from high school, Matthew Terry, who in the summer of 2002 lost his 3-year battle against Hodgkin's Disease. Below is a picture of the two of us at Fullerton Union High School's Homecoming in 2000.

I'll also be running in honor of Gage Holmes (my boss's son who is 5 years old) I've included a pictured below. He is definitely one of my favorite kiddos around. Gage was diagnosed with Leukemia on June 21, 2007. To keep up with their story, check out their blog at http://gageupdates.wordpress.com/.




On behalf of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, thanks for your support. I really appreciate your generosity.

Running for a reason,
Julie Penuel

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Julie! Putting your blog on my Google reader!!! :-) Go Julie Go!

Penny said...

Julie! You are a great writer...you should keep this up. I love being able to see you as a beautiful young...adult!!! You know, I changed your diapers once...I feel the pain of your mom and dad seeing you all grown up, but what a wonderful girl you have grown up to be! Love to your family...Penny